Sunday, January 03, 2010

Taking Hold: My Journey into Blindness

This is an okay book written by Sally Hobart Alexander. The author was born in 1943 in Kentucky and became an elementary teacher in California. In her mid-20s, a rare eye disease caused her to go blind. She attended a training program in Pittsburgh for adults who had gone blind. The book gives an interesting experience about the sadness, fear, and loss of independence that comes from blindness.

The book ends at that point in her life, but later she went on to graduate school and is now a professor teaching writing. She also writes children's books. I have very poor vision and without glasses I can only see shapes and colors. I did not qualify for LASIK surgery and sometimes I worry about going blind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home